Wednesday, March 2, 2011

March Book Club

Kate Morton's pic
It was a beautiful evening to be out and about and at the lovely home of Brenda B. She always has such detailed compliments to our discussions and Delicious food.
I hope she will post the recipes on her blog soon. Her beef noodle soup hit the spot and apple crisp with yogurt ice cream. So ~share with us.
Our book discussion this month was "Distant Hours" by Kate Morton. She is a young author from Australia. I love her insight and reflection of how childhood memories affect our adult life.
She weaves a story from a fairy tale that hide the secrets of her characters.
To write a novel with such twists and turns. How she keeps the reader involved is always amazing to me.
In Kate Morton's blog she states, that on a rainy night of looking out into the mist from her cabin she saw a vision of a little girl seeing peeking out a window and climbing onto a bookcase in a castle. She then rush to her computer and began the tale of the mud man.
Everyone in the book club did enjoy this tale and agree that it is a book that needs to be read in a constant time period. If not it is hard to keep with authors portrayal of characters.
The OMBC did continue to make her book the "Forgotten Garden" their favorite.
We did enjoy " Distant Hours" also ~ Write us more Kate Morton!
Thanks to Brenda B. for a great Book club night and I was thankful to be with everyone once again.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I'll try to get those recipes posted soon.

Brenda said...

I watched the Kim Cattrall episode online. Cool. Watching it that way was good because there were very few commercials, and they were only about 30 seconds long.

Susan Elliott said...

Thank you for this post. I'm off to read some Kate Morton!

FredaB said...

I agree that it was probably her best = once I got into it and yes you should be able to spend some time with it or it could get confusing.

Bring on more kate.

Hugs

FredaB