Friday, March 11, 2011

March Birthdays

March is a month full of birthdays for my family and today brings me to remember my father.
This picture is the day he retired from the United States Coast Guard. His birthday is today and he is no longer here so I may share it with him. But the memories of those years with him.
Now 60 years ago, he was out on a ship, when my mother contacted him from Crisfield, Maryland.
She was excited to tell him that he was a father~! I was born the day before my Dad's birthday and began his journey of fatherhood. Mother had followed him to Virginia then to Maryland where I was born at a hospital that sat on the Chesapeake Bay. Crisfield was known as the Seafood Capital of the World. Needless to say, my father was out to sea on a U .S.C.G ship keeping the fishermen safe, unknowing his wife was headed to the hospital. Mother's neighbor drove her to the hospital ,as she said, "hurry the tide is coming in...and my baby is coming faster!"
Yesterday, I celebrated my own 6Th decade of birth. Thanks to my family and friends. I received wonderful phone calls and many FB Happy wishes. The UPS man even deliver some treasured gifts...



These arrived yesterday from DH. I had been wanting to start a collection of Flash glass. (Early American Cut Glass} I only had one piece on my shelf. Terry's gift to me was a collection. Now I need a new shelf ...Terry to display these beauties.

This next picture shows another box I received from my dear SIL, Barb. Another treasure box that had some great looking beads. I will anxious to place on a textile piece. She is my partner in my stitching world so love that we share it together. She even has a sweet needle book from Savannah and look at the bee items she found! Bath bees and bee stamper. This I can also use on fabric! Don't you love the butterfly container everything was carefully placed in?

The evening finished off with daughter Rebecca bringing my favorite chicken casserole dinner with fresh green beans and rolls and finished off with her homemade banana bread.
Also a mini potted yellow roses. The table was sit also with a lovely bouquet from my other daughter Kristin.
Thanks everyone for a great birthday. It is not everyday you get to celebrate a decade birthday so think I will continue through the weekend. Don't you think?!



4 comments:

Evelyn said...

Happy Birthday! It looks like you were 'gifted' well. The glass pieces are lovely.

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

My dad's b-day is also March 11th. He turned 86 yesterday. He was in WWII and served in the OSS (now CIA). I've had the honor of writing about those top-secret experiences in a book that's coming out this spring. I loved reading your post and admiring the beautiful glass set.

Ella said...

Happy Birthday, hope it was a special day! I love the gifts you received~ I like the photo of your Dad, fun that you shared that~
Lots of birthdays in my family, this month, too. The 5, 17,22, 25 and 29th. Busy month~

Brenda said...

Your wonderful husband came through BIG TIME! You are blessed with a wonderful husband and family! Happy birthday.