Thursday, April 7, 2011
Rainy Day and Roast Chicken
Such a rainy day after a tease of beautiful sunshine. A wonderful way to chase off the chill of a rainy day.... Turn on the oven!
I had been wanting to try Ina Garten's perfect roast chicken. I always hear so much about it on the other blogs I follow. I can now say, it is super! I did not have the fresh Thyme or fennel that she used, but substituted with dry. It was indeed a delicious meal.
If you have not tried it. Here you go... You will not be sorry.
Perfect Roast Chicken
Copyright, 1999, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook, All rights reserved
Show: Barefoot ContessaEpisode: The Homecoming
Rated: 5 stars out of 5Rate itRead users' reviews (487)
Filed under: Fruit, Lemon, Poultry, Chicken, Vegetables, more
RECIPE RATINGS & REVIEWS(487)
Cook Time:1 hr 30 minLevel: IntermediateYield: 8 servings
Recipe Tools:
Print Recipe
Get Card
Save Recipe
Ingredients
1 (5 to 6 pound) roasting chicken
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch fresh thyme, plus 20 sprigs
1 lemon, halved
1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted
1 large yellow onion, thickly sliced
4 carrots cut into 2-inch chunks
1 bulb of fennel, tops removed, and cut into wedges
Olive oil
Directions
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Wow you have to go back next week! Are you ready for that? I would think you would need atleast a few more weeks. I hope you get to go back on shorter shifts. Rest up this weekend!
Mmm, it sounds delicious!
Yes Kristin. 8 hour shifts.
Post a Comment