Thoughts of the past 60 years... My blog friend at www.backofthemoon-shopgirl.blogspot.com/2011/04/scribbler_10.html
had a wonderful thought post of Easter one hundred years ago. This lead me to wonder what happened 60 years ago on this day. This being a decade of pondering my own history.
On April 11, 1951....
President Truman fires General Douglas MacArthur...
He was the commander of our U.S. Armed Forces battling North Korean and communist Chinese forces on the pennisula of Korea.
Pres. Truman address stated" I believe that we must try to limit the war in Korea for these vital reasons: to make sure that the precious lives of our fighting men are not wasted; to see that the security of our country and free world is not needlessly jeopardized; and To prevent a Third world war."
I have posted previously about my favorite show "Who Do You Think You Are"--- this has lead us to be spending more time on Ancestry. com. who sponsor this TV show.
Thinking of the war, i remembered my husband's father who signed up not during the Korea war but at the closing of World War 2, 1944. He was 18 years old and committed to join till the end of war with additional 6 months to follow.
Many years ago after Grandma's passing we found... we found, she had saved all the letters he had written during this time. What a treasure! An account of his life that we never heard of from his lips or others. Time gone by that had been forgotten. Reminders that he cherished the letters from home and the gift boxes. but please do not send anymore candy. How bunk mates shared their treasures from home.
He signed up in St. Louis then off to basic training boot camp.
Letters from flight school and training for the gunnery on the planes. He talks of flying over his states and wishing for time off for leave. Concerns for grandparents back home.... and please send some dress slippers. It appears, he did not want to wear military issue when seeing the sights of these new places. Later, he wrote "don't send them, they will take them away they promised when I am shipped out." I wonder if he ever left the base. What an adventure for a Midwest farm boy knowing only horses and hay fields. This book below has his name inscribed and was also found with grandma's things. It makes me believe he dreamed of flying in planes across the sky. Even though his father told him upon leaving...sign up to get on a ship or plane. That way you will always have a bed to sleep in and a meal each day."

5 comments:
Wow, very interesting. I didn't know about the letters. I'd like to see them some time I'm there.
Barb, I thought you would. .
Do you have the letter? I would love to see them! Thats really cool. You should scan them and put them into a book for everyone:)
Thank you for including me in your post. I love yours, we need to look back sometimes. And as you know I am knee deep into research of our families. I love that you have these wonderful letters. And thank you for sharing this story of time past. Hugs, Mary
Rebecca we have several letters and great idea!
Post a Comment