Monday, March 9, 2009

Barbie turns 50!!



1959
Hard to believe Barbie is 50. How can that be?
Maybe, because I am aging as well.
My one and only Barbie was an original first Barbie. I kept her in mint condition as I played with her very little. My mother had a dear friend name Pat, who loved to make Barbie clothes. So I was the receiver of very nice outfits for Barbie and Ken. The wedding dress was one of my favorites.
I rescued my Barbie in her case when my Parents moved out of their home.
I had long ago left home and all my childhood belongings. Barbie was at the mercy of many children, who were in my parents home. Unfortunately, she is no longer in mint condition. But I treasure her just the same as she brings memories of childhood.

The designer of Barbie was Ruth Handler, co-founder of Mattel.
She loved the way her daughter Barbara, played with paper dolls. The mother had to be thinking of her daughter on the creation of Barbie. Not knowing the creation would last 50 years.
Ruth later became burdened with breast cancer and had a mastectomy in 1970.
Frustrated after surgery on the availability of bras, she designed a prosthetic.
Named "Nearly me" in 1975. Interesting....
Happy Birthday Barbie

No comments: