May Day a time to celebrate spring. To enjoy the beauty of flowers that can be made into Lei...Beginning 1928 our state of Hawaii decided to call May Day, Lei Day.
Everyone will wear flower leis. They celebrate the fine art of creating these wonderful circle of flowers. In fact many displays can be found and demostration on this day. I can just picture the many beautiful flowers. The plumerias ,the orchids, ginger,...
My sisters were in Elementary, when we resided on the island of Oahu. They looked forward to this day. The above photo is my sister Beverly. Doesn't she look excited by the friendly wave?
Notice how we had to where flip flops? A sock called a tubbie was wore with those shoes. It had a separation for the great toe. You slipped they on your feet then use the hook and eyes at the heel to keep them on. They had canvas soles and cotton tops. I think it actually, was a Japanese traditional sock. I wore them, but never a favorite. I was much more comfortable going barefoot it in those flip flops.
I was wondering if the bee sisters can still smell and see the beautiful flowers?! They will be returning later this month. I wondering if they will take a moment to find a lei to wear on their adventures.
http://www.govisithawaii.com/2011/04/29/lei-day-in-hawaii/
2 comments:
Happy May Day, the sky is blue today, I hope it is a sign that good weather is here. It has been a very wet, cloudy spring so far.
Hugs, mary
Ha! I love this picture!
Post a Comment