Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Passing on our Passions


It is always a joy when someone shows a desire to do what they know you love. My daughters never seem to be interested or have the desire. I have three granddaughters. During visits at different times in their lives, I have had projects ready to help stimulate their creativity. My two youngest always seem to have fun working on them together. But the youngest, Maddy is the one who continued to ask how to do more.
This year, we got her a beginning sewing machine and have been doing classes together. She is catching on and I believe will manage well to practice at home. She knows she will not get any tips from her mother. But the Singer did come with a nice CD for directions, if she forgets the basic threading etc. I remember asking my grandmother and great grand about all their hand sewing and having them teach me. It still brings memories of sitting by them visiting and many little stitches. I have done this with all three of the girls. Hopefully at sometime they will show interest again. It is a joyful memory for me and hopefully the girls.

3 comments:

Rays of Stitches said...

You are a very good and patient teacher. I can attest to that! You definitely helped me start and continue my love of stitching. Thank you so much! Love, Barb

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

How very cool. Maddie looks like she is having fun. I love to see children at the sewing machine or with needle in hand. I hope to be able to share my passion with a granddaughter one day! Is Maddie interested in crazy quilting?
Hugs,Pat

Kristin said...

Boy your daughters must be worthless!