Thursday, August 20, 2009

Iowa State Fair




A final week of trying to squeeze all of summer's finest moments. The weather has been a bit rainy, but beautiful just the same...
We spent a day driving to the capital to partake of Iowa's great attractions!
We actually drove to the Capital Building, parked, then caught the bus to the fairgrounds.
Walking to the bus stop, I became distracted with the beautiful sights and monuments at my State's Capital.
Will have to share that at a later time.
but on to the Fair...
Where else can you see Iowans gather together, in wonder, of many food stands. In fact 45 different foods on a stick! I heard snicker on a stick was great~ did not find it, good deal for me.
Another great wonder of the fair was Schultz's Peanut ,all done in Butter.
{1st 2 pics are comments of the Iowa State Fair website.}
We ran into my eldest granddaughter and her close friend Jared. They had plans of enjoying the tractor pull. So after a quick visit they were off on their own fun.
I found my way to the Textile competitions. Many~ Many quilts but sadly, there does not seem to be many Crazy Quilters in Iowa. I saw a couple of very small projects by a Marty Martin.
a little sweet purse and very small pillow. Beautiful work , I cheered her on, to create more for next year.
Loved seeing the cultural building as well. Photography was great, but I thought my dear friend Brenda from http://www.simplepleasures-bb.blogspot.com/ had photos, that would of challenged them.
Many Iowans artist were found at this fun building. I enjoyed them t all.
The man who paints the big rock at Adair county was there also. The Freedom Rock. He was painting a rock inside this area. Every year, {since 1999 and he was only 19 years old} he paints a new painting of our soldiers fighting for freedom along the highway 25 to Greenfield.http://www.thefreedomrock.com/
So many wonderful things to see, but~~~
The walking was quite enjoyable, but found, we were both ready to head back to our bus stop and return to the Capital.



2 comments:

Kristin said...

Cute picture of you and Dad.
Hey, the butter Peanuts gang wasn't there this year. You must have an old pic.. Maddy took pics of the butter cow, astronaut and tv if you want the ones from this year. =)

Queen Bee's Musings said...

Oh, I thought that was what it was.
that was from the state fair website.
We hooked up with Kealah thee and actually missed the butter view.