Thursday, May 28, 2009

Farmer's Markets





An delightful experience of tasting the flavor of the market in Kauai.
My sister thought it was important to start our visit to Kauai with stocking up on the delectable fruits and vegetables of the island. How right you were, Brenda!! It is only held once a week and and all the local farmers brings their produce to sell.
People line up in advance with the organizer and his trusty golden, telling everyone when it is time to start shopping...
What a feast to my Midwest eyes... Flowers everywhere, pineapples, mangoes, sugar cane, coconuts, bananas, lemons, oh my!!!. Brenda assigned us each a type of produce to be in charge of so nothing was duplicated. Let me tell you it was very hard not to grab everything i saw. But, she was right we could only carry so much in our totes! I was in charge of mangoes, lettuce and tomatoes. I could not decide which bunches of lettuce, so ended up with 3 huge bags and very tempted to get an funny looking small fruit called lychee.But did get the lemons, which were wonderful! Farmer said, VERY GOOD, Very Gooood. But they said that, about all their produce. I do wish, I would of chosen many More Mangoes. So delicious!! After loading our produce, we then went to the fish market in the old plantation town of Koloa and enjoyed a boxed lunch of fresh Oma fish and rice and broccoli, smothered in teriayki sauce in the nearby park.
What a wonderful start to our morning and week. The salad we prepared, I might add were the best I ever enjoyed!!!

No comments: