While watching the freezing rain, seeing lightening, hearing thunder and then snow flurries it brings memories of past youth days. I have spent over half my life where the 4 seasons are very abundant and always changing. yet growing up my father was in the U.S.C.G. and moved his family to a new location every 2 years. We of course, always close to big waters of this United States. Both of my parents grew in southern Iowa, so always remember seasons changing. This family were not a family that spent many vacation trips but we lived vacation spots. Dad always made sure his family experienced the area that we lived.
We walked between the redwoods of California and camped by the rivers and streams at Yosemite. I remember being awestruck by the beauty of half dome in the above picture. Panning for gold in the those streams... alas finding many flakes i knew were gold. But Dad quietly saying you have fools gold... I still found a small to tube to save these treasures carefully putting them in my pockets. Hiking to the top of the mountain with Dad and sisters, resting on a rock and hearing a sound of a shaking rattle. Hurry back to Dad who was holding hands with my youngest sister. Mom, you kept the campfire going and entertaining baby Byron. Those snow memories must of remained strong for my Dad. During the winter season living in warm places... He would do his best to recreate the winter season for his family. I remember driving high into the mountains to Squaw Valley so we could play and feel the snow. While living in Hawaii during Christmas he used a spray can of snow and filled our windows with beloved winter scenes.





3 comments:
I love the changing seasons. Your dad sounds like a great father.
As I look out the window, the ice is still hanging on my fence out back.
Man alive you look like RJ in that picture!
What wonderful memories you hve of growing up in such a family. Great mom and dad.
hat is one thing no one can ever take away from us - our memories.
Hugs
FredaB
ps - I am enjoying the snow thru other people's eyes on the computer but must say at our age I do not miss it at all.
Post a Comment